Saturday, June 17, 2017

Finally: Progress on My Family History Sampler

For the past several years, I've focused on quilting and ignored my cross stitching. The main reason, I think, is because I haven't done the same traveling I did when working in high tech. But earlier this year I went on a Panama Canal cruise which included several days at sea and I knew I needed a project to work on during those days. The solution: a cross-stitching project.

When I got home I decided it was about time that I started working on my family history sampler again.

This is the sampler I designed to represent some key people in my mother's father's line.You can read about the people represented by the different squares here. It is being stitched on 40-count fabric with silk floss over two threads. The inspiration for this sampler came from the Carriage House Samplings Hawk Run Hollow series.


Since it had been a while since I stitched (and my eyes aren't getting any younger), I first stitched up the center medallion on 32-count fabric to give to my mother. She decided she wants it finished as a pillow -- which I have yet to complete. But it is such a classic view of the home where my mom grew up.


Albert Lee and Selma are my mom's parents, along with their 10 children. Grandma was a quilter, so I had to include some quilts. Grandpa was a dairy farmer, so yep, there are a couple cows. His horse Old Chief is depicted, as well as their apple trees and their iconic derrick.

And here's how far I am on the complete sampler on the 40-count fabric. It's slow going, but I'm loving the results.


And close-ups of the individual blocks. I haven't done all of the outlining yet.







Still a lot of stitching to do, but it will be a real heirloom when done. 

I've just begun designing a similar project representing my dad's father's ancestry.

No stitching or quilting for a week because I'm running two back-to-back events with a total of about 350 combined. And, it will probably take a few days to fully recover. But, when it's over, I will be fully retired!


3 comments:

Linda said...

Nancy,
It's been a very long time, huh? I'm glad I checked in today. I've watched this sampler come to life, and I love what you've done. A beautiful tribute. It's been worth the wait.
Happy stitching,
Linda

Mary said...

Beautiful Nancy! Exquisite!!
I just posted yesterday about the two stockings I made for the girls. I know what you mean about tire older eyes!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous family history project! I saw this and thought, "I wonder ...." and then I saw your name over on the sidebar as LiahonaGirl and a beehive. Well, that answers that question! =) You are! Next, I noticed the FAF blinkie, so it's pretty well confirmed. LOL I also liked the McCall's pattern and now I see you are the author of the Triple Play book. I've been stumbling over you everywhere and just didn't realize it was the same person in all the places!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails