Monday, April 2, 2018

Quick Baby Boy Quilt

I was doing some organizing in my sewing room and ran across a novelty panel and some yardage, intended for a quilt for a baby boy. Although baby Samuel was born yesterday, I had already made his quilt -- the Pony Express quilt I blogged about previously.

I decided to go ahead and make this boy quilt knowing that there will likely be another boy born into the family at some point in the future. (The next two births are girls -- one within the next couple of weeks and one in July. I'll share their quilts soon.) And except for backing fabric, everything else came from my stash!



This was a snap to make, since it includes a panel for the center of the quilt. I had yardage for the borders, binding, and corner four-patches. In fact, it took longer to fussy-cut the border print than to sew the entire quilt top.


Sometimes the right quilting choice IS a straightforward meander/stippling pattern. I think it actually complements the construction theme. And it also quilts up quickly.

To make it even quicker to finish, I bought 60-inch wide Minky for the back. Perfect for a baby quilt -- and no seams to stitch or cotton to iron. And I only needed to purchase the length of the quilt plus eight inches.


Loaded the selvages to my leaders -- which meant the stretch of the backing went across the frame. It also meant I needed to load the quilt top with the length of the quilt sideways. Luckily the meander quilting isn't directional, so that worked like a charm.


Now just need to wait until another baby boy joins the family!

Year-to-date finishes -- nine quilts
  • UFOs: 1 
  • Flimsies into quilts: 3 
  • Other quilts (started and finished in 2018): 5 (includes three quilts for magazines not blogged about yet)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails