Saturday, April 9, 2011

Catching Up

A quick catch-up post before I head to Orlando for the better part of the week.


This is the Carriage House Samplings project I've been stitching.  I'll work on it to/from Florida (and during a long layover in Atlanta when returning home). I've been upgraded to first class both directions and will be by the window, so should have good light to stitch by! I'm using Belle Soie hand-dyed silk, color is called "Mudpies". I am loving the way this looks. And, of course, I think Belle Soie is my favorite silk to stitch with. It is so luscious to the touch.


I did make some progress on my family history sampler. It's been about a year since I finished designing it -- but I have been very slow to stitch. I must have perfect conditions to stitch on that darker 40-count fabric -- good light, mageyes, etc.


I picked up Jenny and Chad's wedding quilt from the quilter yesterday. I was hoping to get the binding sewn on before I head to the airport, so my mom could finish the hand-stitching of the binding. But alas, it's not going to happen. I haven't packed yet and have a family event this evening.

I gave in to quilt-blogger peer pressure and bought a Twister template to make a twister quilt. Or rather, I made a large block that will become a pillow. It's a fun technique. Basically sew together a bunch of squares and then use the tool to cut 4-patch blocks that, when sewn back together, form the twisted pinwheel design.


For the twisted pinwheel, I used scraps from this quilt.  The top is finished, but I haven't had it quilted since I haven't decided who will be the lucky recipient.


I put my mom to work basting hexagons. She did a great job.  I think she has finished about 300 -- but since I haven't figured out how I'm going to set them, I haven't given her any more to work on. The fabric is "Bliss" by Bonnie and Camille. These were all done from a strip set, but I have a fat quarter bundle of all the fabrics -- so there's the potential of a lot more hexies!

Lastly, I've been remiss with my stash accountability. Luckily I haven't been buying a boatload of fabric -- and I did drop off another quilt to be quilted which helped, but not enough to put in a stash deficit position.

Since February 9th (yes, 2 months ago):
In: 22 yards
Out: 11-1/4 yards
Net: 10-3/4 increase to my stash

Year to date:
In: 54-1/2 yards
Out: 47 yards
Net: 7-1/2 yards increase to my stash

But I have made good progress towards getting quilts DONE! 4 totally done; 1 ready to bind; and 1 at the quilter. So, that will make 6 in 2011. I'm planning to drop off a quilt top each time I pick one up for the rest of the year -- about  one per month. And with a new baby born this week awaiting his quilt, and one due in a couple weeks, I've got to get busy!

I hope you all have a great week. It snowed (again!) in Utah. I'm looking forward to better weather in Orlando.

5 comments:

marylin said...

oh very beautiful
marylin FRANCE

Linda said...

Hey Nancy, I really enjoy seeing your lovely work. You do get alot done. The family history sampler is a personal favorite.
BTW, it's getting warm here, bring comfy clothes.
Linda

Loraine said...

Hi Nancy. I've been absent from blog world too long! Oh my goodness how I love all of your WIP's and finishes. Your Joseph Smith sampler is fabulous. I think it turned out great and really like your color choices.
Have fun in Florida. It should be nicer weather than we are having here! Can't wait to see more of your family history sampler.
Have a good one!

Berit said...

Everything is so gorgeous! Loving the family sampler, your CHS, and the idea of 6 quilts "done" before the year is even half-over!

Siobhán said...

I love the Mudpies for your CHS! It looks great. Your family sampler has been a favorite of mine for awhile now--I'm glad to see an updated pic of it! The quilt is beautiful and the hexies--swoon!! I love Bliss.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails