Monday, March 15, 2010

Stitching Miscellania

I  noticed that DMC-USA became a follower when I wasn't paying attention. Then I noticed a lot of people coming to Bountiful Heirlooms from DMC. So I discovered that Emma over at DMC-USA had referenced a post I wrote a while back with some of my stitching tips and tricks.  (Thanks Emma!) There are lots of great stitching hints and valuable floss information over at DMC, as you would expect -- so definitely check it out!

Over the weekend I also finished a couple long-forgotten WIPs.



The small liberty design needed only about 15 stitches in the border to finish it up, while the Shepherd's Bush Summer design needed only the backstitching completed and the buttons sewn on. So that is now done as well. Unfortunately, now both of these projects are in the pile of completed stitchery waiting to be "finished" into something else.

I continue to be amazed at how looking at a photo of one of my stitched designs seems to uncover the boo-boos! I was looking at the photo in a previous post of the Blackbird Designs Loose Feathers piece I finished -- only to realize that the lower left corner is scooted out too far to the left. How in the heck did I make that big of a mistake and not notice it while I was working on the project?

Upon closer inspection, I realized that I added an extra zig to the little green zig-zag filler to the left of the words "their songs" and that threw everything off because that was my reference point for starting the bird, followed by the flower stem, etc. Good grief! So now the dilemma. Do I pick out the bird, flower, leaves and stem stitches and restitch -- or stick with my mantra that "finished is better than perfect".

5 comments:

Berit said...

I can't recall where I came from, but it wasn't DMC.

Leave the BBD as is; their designs are really sort of "meant" to be antique and "off" to begin with. Add some more "organic or geometric border elements" up from the leaf to the top, and then it won't "stick out anymore". It'll look good, too, imho. Good as in, better than it would if you "Frogged 'n Fixed"

Joanne said...

Your finished stitching looks wonderful.
I too would leave the other design as is. Like the saying goes "Only God is perfect"!
DMC as a follower, I have never seen that before!

LiahonaGirl said...

Berit: I was thinking the same thing -- just add a few folk art motifs to fill in the negative space. And you're right -- the fabric is never quite the same after removing stitches.

Joanne: I remember hearing that the Amish purposely do one block in their quilts with something slightly amiss for that same reason -- that only God is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Stick with your mantra!! It looks beautiful to me. We stitchers and quilters are 99.9% of the time, the only ones who see the mistake.

Blessings,
Jilly

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Your SB finishes are wonderful and I wouldn't frog one thread on your BBD piece!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails