Monday, February 8, 2010

Stitching on 40-count fabric

What was I thinking? A couple years ago I saw a few projects stitched on 40-count fabric and decided I needed to do some myself. Lovely? Definitely. But proceed at your own risk! You definitely need good light and good eyes (or perhaps some MagEyes to help you see the tiny little holes). Oh, and you also need extra thin needles (I'm using size 28) because you stitch with only one strand of  floss.

This is the project I dug out, thinking I would work on it during the Super Bowl. It would be easy to fill in the bunny without having to refer to a chart, right?

 
Well, my MagEyes are with a project at my cabin (2 hours away). I ended up watching the Super Bowl in my brother's comfy (but dark) home theater room -- and even with my portable LED light (shown in this post), it was too taxing on my aging eyes. So I didn't get much stitching done. I ended up working on a different project (on 28-count fabric), but I probably picked out just as many stitches as I made because I had a hard time keeping my place on the chart in the dark.

This primitive bunny design is one of two projects by "Hands To Work" that I want to do (the companion piece, "Be Not Weary" isn't started yet). They are stitched with needlepoint silk (one strand over two threads) so the finished stitching is so soft.

I took a quick look at my stitching fabric stash and have 6 pieces of 40-count and 2 pieces of 38-count linen. Guess I better get busy!

3 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Your bunny looks great, Nancy. I agree with you 100% about the 40 count stitching. My eyes just feel so tired after I work on a high count like that that it's just not too relaxing. Your stitching is lovely though and this will be beautiful when done!

Carolyn McNeil said...

It seems the older I get the stronger the magnifying glasses I need. Five years ago, I could stitch without the help of glasses...not any more!
Happy Stitchin'...
http://www.stitchopedia.com
An encyclopedia of needlepoint stitches…

LiahonaGirl said...

Carolyn, isn't that the case! I have lighted magnifying glass when I stitch in the bedroom, a lip-on magnifying glass + Ott floor lamp when I stitch in my family room, and a small clip-on light + granny reader glasses (or my MagEyes) the rest of the time. They say the "eyes are the first to go" -- and I believe it.
Nancy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails