Thursday, February 11, 2010

Which of these is not like the others?


One of these blocks -- the upper right block -- was hand appliqued via needleturn a couple years ago. But the other three I did via machine applique this evening. I was able to do these three blocks in the time that it took to do the original one. Even though Kim Diehl recommends using the smoke monofilament thread on dark fabrics, I was too lazy to re-thread my machine and used the translucent clear on each piece.  I couldn't tell any difference from using the smoke. I'm loving this technique!

I thought this would be a good project for Valentine's / President's Day / Olympics weekend. Six more blocks to do the hearts and then there is some embellishment on each one. The blocks finish about 12 inches wide by 16 inches high.  The design is called "Heart to Heart" and is by Laurie Bird, Rose Cottage Design. Laurie also designs fabrics for Windham, as does her sister Michelle Blackhurst.

I so want to start a new quilt, but I told myself that I need to finish one of my WIPs (aka UFOs) for every new quilt I start. I decided that sewing several Dear Jane blocks would count as well so I will keep that quilt moving. (I just can't drop everything else to focus just on Dear Jane.) I'll get this one done, maybe a few DJ blocks, and then who knows what fun project I'll start.

Bye for now.

4 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

The hearts will make a beautiful quilt and doing a WIP before starting something new is a very disciplined approach. I hope you're better able to stick with it than I usually am!

LiahonaGirl said...

Thanks Terri. I typically don't use novelty prints, but I love Mary Englebreit designs. The only way novelties work (I think) is if you do a whole quilt in them.

Not sure how disciplined I'll actually be, but I may rationalize getting the backing sewn and quilts off to the machine quilter will count as finishing a UFO/WIP too.
Nancy

Deb said...

I love your hearts. I know what you mean about it taking much less time to machine applique than to do the hand applique!

I hope that you're successful with accomplishing your WIPs first before you move on. I always have good intentions but then something throws me off the rails. Can't wait to see your DJ blocks.

LiahonaGirl said...

Thanks Deb. Here's a link to my post about the first 55 or so DJ blocks I've completed. It includes a slideshow of the finished blocks.
http://bountifulheirlooms.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-dear-jane-progress.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails