Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quilting Update

It feels so good to be sewing quilts again. I took five classes at the Heritage Quilters and Needlework Association (HQNA) retreat.  I've nearly completed two of the Miss Rosie's quilts -- both were Schnibbles taught by Carrie herself. She was a hoot to take classes from. The projects were simple -- and just what I needed to jumpstart my quilting after a 6+ month hiatus. I'll post photos when I get the borders on them.

After I returned home, even before I began working to finish the class projects, I stitched up the backing for several quilt tops that were already completed. My sister-in-law took two of them to machine quilt on her sister's Gammill, and I dropped off the other three at Cat's Attic Quilting, the long-arm quilter I typically use.

The first quilt is for a nephew and wife's darling daughter Emrie. She turns one in about 6 weeks -- and in fact, I noticed that it was exactly one year ago yesterday that I finished the quilt top. I feel horrible that I never got it quilted, but at least I'll have it ready for her first birthday. This is the link to the original post showing the photo of her quilt.

The next quilt is for my mom -- and like Emrie's quilt, it too was a gift (for Christmas 2009!) I wrapped it up, she opened it, and then I took it home after the Christmas festivities  -- only for it to sit in my sewing room gathering dust. When I showed the quilt to my mom on Sunday before I gave it to my SIL to take to quilt, my mom couldn't even remember that I'd given it to her because she only had it in her possession for such a short time. It's a cozy throw for her (or my dad) to use in their family room during the cold winter months.The colors are perfect for her decor.

The third quilt is my first attempt at a blended quilt. It too is a throw that I'll use in my office (walls are painted red, so it will be a nice match):
The fourth quilt is a folk art applique design by Primitive Pieces by Lynda called "A Tisket, A Tasket". It's one of my all-time favorite quilts. It's been finished for several years -- don't know why it's taken so long for me to have it quilted. I can't wait to see how Catherine quilts it. She does a great job, and does the quilting on Barbara Jones' quilts (Quilt Soup). The backing is a golden plaid flannel.
The final quilt that I dropped off is for my nephew who got married last November. (I'm only behind 3 wedding quilts -- so with this one,  it's one down and two to go.) I hadn't been able to figure out what to do for him, but while I was sorting through the piles in my sewing room, I ran across this quilt top (complete with matching backing). The colors reminded me of khaki fatigues the Army soldiers wear (except perhaps for the pink!) It clicked. This would be Mike and Emily's quilt.
It feels good to be back quilting. I've been on CPAP therapy for two months and I'm starting to feel like my old self with the energy to be creative. Now I just need to dig out my cross stitch projects!


3 comments:

Linda said...

Nancy
I've checked your blog often, hoping to see you. Glad you're back. I've missed your posts.
The quilts are wonderful, can't wait to see what else you have stashed.
BTW, I'm planning do stitch a sampler, where do you get your fabric? Joanne's and Michael's don't have the size I need.
Blessings,
Linda

LiahonaGirl said...

Hi Linda. Thanks for stopping by! I buy most of my fabrics at local quilt shops or online. If I know what fabric I want for the quilt, such as a particular fabric line that is currently available, I'll usually figure out what I need and buy it online.

But if I'm stash building, I usually browse the quilt shops and buy fat quarters. That is, unless I find something I love that I will want to feature in a quilt as the focus fabric, or something that would be a great background or backing. In that case, I buy yardage based on what its potential use will be.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the sampler quilt.
Nancy

Vivian said...

Just purchased your book recently and saw you had a blog so wanted to check it out. It's been fun surfing through it and I was thrilled to see the "Flying For Cover" you made for your Mom. I made one too and it was funny to read your "Decorating With Quilts" post because mine is hanging up right now! Also great that you are a regular QM 100 Blocks contributor, look forwarding to seeing more of your work soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails