Saturday, January 9, 2010

Decorating With Quilts

I love the look of quilts throughout the house -- but if you're like me, you've got more quilts than places to put them.  Other than one quilt on the wall over my stairwell, I haven't hung any quilts. (Probably because I'm too lazy to sew a sleeve on the back to hang it.) So, I have used quilts in other ways throughout my house -- in mostly traditional  ways.


The railing around my stairwell is the most prominent place for showcasing my quilts.


And, no, there isn't  a quilt on the floor. The rug just has an Ohio Star pattern.

Since my living room couch has individual pillows along the back of the couch, it was easy to drape the quilt on the back of the couch and then replace the couch pillows.


Using a quilt as a throw over the back or side of a chair isn't earth shattering -- but I still like the look.


I use a quilt like a tablecloth -- but do remove it when it's time to eat at the table.


Of course, the bed is still the most logical place to find a quilt.



So I decided to do a Google search to find other examples of decorating with quilts. I hope these photos give you some ideas. I know there are a few that I'll be using.

From a charming blog named Seasons for All ... At Home, I found a  post with the following ideas and photos:



 
  

This was a great photo from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville website.  I too have a "leaning tower of quilts" -- I just haven't had  the courage to photograph it! Maybe I will one of these days.


I love the way this quilt is "hung" on the wall -- draped over a decorative, wooden curtain rod. I think that's what I should do to feature a quilt at the head of my bed because no sleeve is required -- and it would  be easy to switch with a different quilt throughout the year.
I have several flower girl blocks that were appliqued by my grandmother (who was born in the 1890s). This would be a terrific way to feature those blocks rather than put them into a quilt. I have enough  blocks to sew into a quilt, but perhaps this would be a way to share these family heirlooms with her great- and great-great-granddaughters.

 
What fabulous ways to use an antique ladder or railing to show off quilts.

Rather than stack quilts, how about rolling the small ones and place them like "books" on a shelf. Whoever staged this display did a great job featuring the quilt blocks at the front of the roll.
Or here's the more traditional way, stacked quilts in a cabinet. Still charming!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails