Thursday, January 14, 2010

Time to make another 30s quilt?

I've made two quilts with 30s reproduction fabrics. My niece was the recipient of one of them when she got married. The pic below is before it was quilted. This is the link to see the finished quilt.



I still have the other quilt, which is a sampler with both 12-inch and 6-inch blocks, and a "piano key" border.



The quilt underneath my quilt is the quilt my grandmother made for my mother when she was married in 1952. It's a scrappy double-wedding ring quilt with coral and aqua in the 4-patch units that connect the pieced melons. Of course, it's hand-quilted, but my mom can look at it and pick out fabrics that were used in clothes she wore as a child or aprons my grandmother wore. It's a true heirloom that I treasure. You can see a hint of the edge of the quilt and how my grandmother kept the scallop-y edge.

Anyway, I still have loads of 30s fabrics and a full bolt of good-quality white fabric. So, in the true spirit of stash-busting, I guess it's time to make another 30s quilt -- although there are so many new 30s prints that I haven't seen before that I might be tempted to buy a few.

Here are a few quilts I've noticed lately that will serve as inspiration to get started:




I LOVE this darling apron quilt.


From Lori Holt,  Bee In My Bonnet
 


I'm thinking this is the one I'm going to make!! From www.fabricessentials.com



 





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails