Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winterfest Recap

After two and a half days at the Winterfest quilting retreat -- in the beautiful mountain setting at Daniels Summit -- I am now back home.  I took three classes from Kim Diehl and one from Amy Maxfield, one of the partners and organizers of the event. I feel that I am now well trained in Kim's machine applique technique. Even though I've read (and even tried) her technique through her books, it was wonderful to have the opportunity to see her demonstrate it and learn the many tips and tricks she has perfected in the process of making dozens of fabulous quilts.

Rather than come home with 4 unfinished projects, I spent the time in the 2nd and 3rd Kim Diehl classes continuing to work on the first class' project. I'm glad I did because I actually have something to show for my time away! Here's how far I got on the project while at the retreat. All I have left are the flower buds at the end of some of the stems, some berries, the pieced border with appliqued circles and a circle medallion for the center of the quilt. Here's a link to my post with a picture of Kim's original quilt.



I  love the machine applique technique and look forward to using in on the many applique projects on my to-do list!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails